Easter is my favorite time of year because of the meaning behind the season and the new life that spring brings. This year though, Easter is even more special because it will be the birthday of my beautiful late Grandmother Dolores, or as my family affectionately referred to her, our Big Gram. She was an exquisite woman who lived with passion and a zest for life. She was wise and patient and I cherish the memories of our conversations together. She put her heart into everyone and everything that she loved and was not afraid to stand her ground. She was stubborn but loving, stern but fair and conservative but accepting. I fondly remember our weekly lunch dates together after Connor was born. They are my most favorite memories. To see her hold and snuggle with my baby brought an amazing amount of joy to my heart. Gram had a way of making everyone feel special. She could make all of your troubles magically disappear when you were with her. She was always there for me and my family and was a tremendous support and encouragement as I ventured through the journey of motherhood. Her infectious smile and the twinkle in her eyes lit up the room and her laugh tickled my heart. She was a strong woman who fought until the end. She never gave up on the ones that she loved...I believe she is still fighting for all of us from her place in the sky. Losing her was one of the most painful experiences of my life and I can honestly say that a little piece of my heart died along with her on the day of her death. She was not only a grandmother but a dear friend who has forever changed my heart and the way that I live my life. I am so thankful that Connor got to spend time with his beloved Great Nanny and that he still remembers her, I pray he never forgets. I know that he will be a better person for knowing her. I know that I am. I wanted to share something I wrote to read to my grandmother in her last days, it will give you a better picture of this amazing woman:
I'll always remember how you made me your special pancakes when I had sleepovers at your house.
I'll always remember how you fell asleep with the t.v. on.
I'll always remember watching you sit at your vanity doing your hair and thinking how beautiful you were.
I'll always remember how it amazed me that a woman so small could snore so loudly!
I'll always remember how you always had an ear to listen and arms to hug.
I'll always remember how you were so generous with everything you had.
I'll always remember how you loved to laugh.
I'll always remember your strength.
I'll always remember how your face lit up when you talked about your children.
I'll always remember how proud you were to share that you had 14 grandchildren with a total stranger.
I'll always remember how excited you became with the birth of each new great- grandchild.
I'll always remember how your house smelled of coffee and cookies.
I'll always remember how you had faith.
I'll always remember how you lived for your family.
I'll always remember how you encouraged me to be myself.
I'll always remember how you took the time to let me know that you cared.
I'll always remember how you spoke your mind.
I'll always remember how you welcomed everyone into your family.
I'll always remember how proud I was to be your granddaughter.
I'll always remember how much you loved me.
I'll always remember how much I love you.
I'll always remember how you fell asleep with the t.v. on.
I'll always remember watching you sit at your vanity doing your hair and thinking how beautiful you were.
I'll always remember how it amazed me that a woman so small could snore so loudly!
I'll always remember how you always had an ear to listen and arms to hug.
I'll always remember how you were so generous with everything you had.
I'll always remember how you loved to laugh.
I'll always remember your strength.
I'll always remember how your face lit up when you talked about your children.
I'll always remember how proud you were to share that you had 14 grandchildren with a total stranger.
I'll always remember how excited you became with the birth of each new great- grandchild.
I'll always remember how your house smelled of coffee and cookies.
I'll always remember how you had faith.
I'll always remember how you lived for your family.
I'll always remember how you encouraged me to be myself.
I'll always remember how you took the time to let me know that you cared.
I'll always remember how you spoke your mind.
I'll always remember how you welcomed everyone into your family.
I'll always remember how proud I was to be your granddaughter.
I'll always remember how much you loved me.
I'll always remember how much I love you.
Gram, I'LL ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU.
With that Gram, I wish you a truly Happy Birthday! You are forever loved, forever missed, and always remembered! Thank you for being our Angel above and watching out for us all!
Here are a few pictures of the special lady!











What a sweet tribute, Court.
ReplyDelete